Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Purple Gang.

Morning to all,

Last night I was feeling nostalgic and listened to some music from my formative years. We all do. I know my parents did, sometimes to a fault. Usually not.

Last nights excursion down memory lane was with the legendary Deep Purple. Not a stiff in the line up. Each having a musical personality that stood up to each other and made a concrete strong statement.

I may have first heard Ian Gillian on the Jesus Christ Superstar original cast album. I'm really not clear about that. But I am clear that when he sang it spoke to me and blew me down.

That being said... (Sorry Larry David) last night I had the second coming of Purle on my mind. Yes, the Coverdale/Hughes years. Where did they find these guys? My "Dynamic Duo". That must be an interesting story. Well, I was, as well as my musical appetite, just glad they did. Burn and Stormbringer were most influential to my musical education during the 70's. They showed, I thought, some different colors of the band and perhaps some different layers of Mr. Blackmore that we hadn't seen earlier. I miss him sorely. No offense to Steve Morse. That's life. It's like the Perry thing.

Anyway, I'll be looking for my old vinyl slabs of both records in question today so that I might transport myself back in a time when Aerosmith, Queen, Led Zepplin and the like rules the roost and all was right with the world. Of course, what to where to the prom?:)

Have a Purple day,

Steve

P.S. Who sings better the Glen F-ing Hughes I ask you? Forgettaboutit!



Oh, you can bet it was Deep Purple alright. Now, I was an Ian Gillian fan from day one but, when I heard the Coverdale/Hughes lie-up I was sold. For me, Burn and Stormbringer spoke to me in volumes. Just something personal. My opinion. As for Ritchie Blackmore... I miss hearing the sound of his Strat thru his Marshall like only he was able to deliever. The Godfather of his genre for sure. Ritchie had layers.

2 comments:

  1. have to agree with ya there.that music always seems to put you in another time and place.thats whats nice about music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to "quantum leap" to music on a regular basis!! Aw....high school!!!

    ReplyDelete