Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Tip of the Iceberg.

How's everybody?

It is rare when we are touched or shall I say teased by greatness or near greatness for that matter.

Months ago I witnessed, for a moment, one of the horrific award shows that seem to come as hard and fast these days as "reality" shows, which for the record I am not a big fan of... but hey, that's me.

But, on this particular occasion I happened to flick thru the channels to hear some rubbish about the debut of some fantastic new band and how friggin'amazing they were gonna be and just watch this commercial, buy this crap and wash your hair with this B.S. our sponsor is trying to force feed you and, blah, blah, blog.

Well, I must have been distracted by my dog Buckley stealing my pretzels or worst, drinking my frosty cold brew, otherwise I would have changed the channel and all would be status quo... when on comes the revelation "they" were hyping as the next or second coming. Boys and girls, much to my surprise, they've arrived. And I am now, months after the fact, writing you as I am listening to their "The Resistance" CD, that's right. The band is MUSE and I am sold and loving it.

I am not a music critic, don't wish or care to be. Just a music lover. I don't desire to hawk mine or any others music or soap for that matter, but, I must share this with you all who may not have had the pleasure of experiencing their music.

Yes, experience. That's what I'm doing as I confer with my spell check more frequently than I care to admit to. In fact one day I will just let one of these blogiddy-blog tranmissions go thru just to shock you. But, I digress.

The first song I encountered was a catchy little (Actually not "little" in the least) anthem by the name of "Uprising". It got my attention immediately. Melodic, rythmic, intelligent. The band was young, hip and appeared genuine and confident considering the fact that this was their big American debut. Could the Grammy's or Mammies or whatever the @#$%&* I was resistantly watching be right? I dare say yes, but... yes. And... this was just the tip of the Iceberg.

There I was, walking down the aisle of the local Target store ( for those of you outside the US, this is a slightly hipper version of the dreaded Wal-Mart and K-Mart stores. All three of which I would frequent as often as possible on tour. So much that I was eventually dubbed the nickname of "Stevie Walmart" by my always witty and humorous band buddie, Ross Valory.) Anyways, while in search of the perfect tube socks my eyes caught a glimpse of the ever shrinking CD section and I could not resist.

Here I am nearly a week later, and I'm like... hey where my MUSE CD. What pile of clothes or lyrics did I hide it under? Well, from top to bottom , MUSE had my attention and then some. I guess it doesn't hurt that at times they are reminisent or has musical moment that are Queen-ish, yes the band and not the Tina Turner impersonator. Musical is an understatement.

It is reassuring to know that someone out there is making music of this caliber. And I for one am a brand new fan.

I did however come across a video (May or may not be the official video) of perhaps one of my favorite tracks, "The United States of Eurasia" and was less than pleased with the visual content. But, hey. This is America where we do have, and exercise our freedom of speech. Hence my rambling.

If you've got some music that has impressed you lately, please share it with me and the rest of us. I can only listen to my old Led Zeppelin albums just so many times in a week.

So, this music has inspired me to write and there it is. I don't want to tell you all the details as to why I think it's extraordinary, I want you all to have fun finding out for yourselves. It's the Journey right? I can't believe I really wrote that:)

Enjoy, 'til we meet again.

Steve


15 comments:

  1. Hey Steve!

    I too bust out my Zeppelin CD's only so many times a week but that's how it is when you are addicted, you know what I mean? Can't complain on this end....

    Kings Of Leon lately have been etched in my mind and I think they are really impressive musically and lyrically, check 'em out if you haven't already ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also fell madly for the band Muse when I heard a song called Sing For Absolution from their cd titled Absolution. Great choice Steve! My new Journey takes me to a fairly new band (for me) called The Decemberist and the cd is named Picaresque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi steve wiill have to check that band out
    i know what you mean about shrinking cd sections in stores
    our two big cd stores closed here a while ago
    i personally buy most of my music from itunes or amazon mp3
    last cd i bought was michael bolton's new cd
    am loving "murder my heart" that he did with lady gaga
    and "hope its too late"
    also enjoying the glee music
    hope you are having an awesome week

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey steve-i am with you on the reality shows, by the way...i get enough 'reality' everyday at work ;-)..we have been muse fans for about a year or so...LOVE them and add them to our long list of british musicians we seem to be drawn to...i agree it is SO refreshing to hear a ROCK band do very well-written music...they are on tour and we are hoping to see them live soon...
    i know as i type, mark is searching for a link to send you for another brit band we have come to love recently- have seen them live and they are really good- porcupine tree...
    i know how you feel...i crave new music sometimes and get into some and get bored with it -because it is just not...well,not very good- not the caliber of music we grew up with...then i go back to my zeppelin- moody blues-fogelberg ( YES!!), csny, etc...there are ALOT of young people getting into 'our' music and even many of them are bored with the musical offerings of their generation...i do feel standards in music ( along with all the arts) have sunk quite a bit..i hope to see bands like muse inspire some greatness! ;-)..glad to hear you like them! it is fun to discover a new artist and explore their catalog- like a gift from the music gods ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. steve- mark posted a link on FB for you-but i thought i would post it here too- i know there is alot to look at on FB everyday- gets overwhelming ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBRu2ERVLUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve you are right about Muse they are an amazing band and I thought exactly what you did they remind me of Queen. I discovered them because of Twilght the author Stephanie Meyer said they inspired her while writing her novels.There are alot of amazing music out there Check out the Black Keys I saw them open for Pearl Jam. Old is also go I have been listening to Classic Journey with the singer everybody forgets Greg Rolie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve,

    If you haven't already...check out their previous cd Black Holes and Revelations, I love Starlight quite a bit. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. steve,when i listen to music,i listen to the intro as in the notes.ive heard songs that not so much the words,but the notes that get you into a mood.it might not to pertain to this but ive noticed over the years that if a song has an emotional introduction,it catches you and reels you in even if the words to you dont fit the music.just a thought.love the hidden philosiphy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Steve,

    I was checking out Muse last year since they were opening up for U2. I love their songs & couldn't wait to see them live.

    While Muse was playing at Giants Stadium, I was unfortunately stuck in traffic trying to get parking & missed them completely. :(

    But you're right about the band sounding like Queen. And since I am a BIG Queen fan, I was instantly hooked.

    And Steve, you don't have to be a music critic to really enjoy music... old or new & of any genre. You just need to love it!

    Hugs! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve!! I've had your site bookmarked for months & just noticed your "up & running"!! Just wanted to say thanx for the years with Journey! Arrival is one album I still listen to on a regular basis. It's GREAT!! And I finally purchased the Tall Stories CD from Amazon, coz I couldn't find it anywhere else. Glad to see you're back & PLEASE keep up the "good work"!! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so excited to read your site, Steve...that my laptop just missed being soaked by my cup of coffee :).

    I have such a soft spot in my heart for you and your music. My daughter has been my (*very* patient) Journey concert companion for quite a few years, and we had the opportunity to meet you after the show in Morton, MN...memorable only by the fact that it was canceled due to a tornado! You, Deen and Jon were kind enough to chat with a number of fans after the show...and we also had the chance to say "hi" after a show several years later in Mankato, MN (with a wonderful picture of you with my daughter).

    It was your kindness, courtesy and general "good vibes" with my daughter and the other fans that made my concert-going even more special. The music and the man - both wonderful. While I wish the current line up well, and am happy the band continues on...I don't have the same emotional connection. While Steve P is of course a huge part of the band's legacy...you made it real to me. You were the face and sound that created the fun and enjoyment of going to a show.

    [My husband still teases me...I guess I really gushed about you being dressed in white denim with very tan feet at Morton. Too funny :-)]

    And I agree - Arrival is one of my all time fav albums, too. I play it all the time.

    Sooo good to see you back on the Internet, and if you ever head out here to the Midwest, it would be an honor and a pleasure to hear you again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful videos on the site, by the way. I would love to see Remember Me sometime. I was also at your "almost" first show here in St Paul at the start of your journey...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steve,
    My husband & I recently saw Daughtry on tour and the opening band CAVO was really good. The muscic as well as vocals were very enjoyable. Check out free samples on their website www.cavomusic.com
    T-

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steve,

    Glad to have your new site up and going! I've been listening to Arrival a TON this week. It's been a rough week and its helped to get me through!

    A band I am loving right now is Them Crooked Vultures featuring John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, David Grohl from Nirvana/ Foo Fighters, and Joshua Homme of Smashing Pumpkins. Good old fashioned Rock 'n Roll... something music has been missing lately!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete